The Meriam family lived at this corner between 1663 and 1870. The Meriam House, a grey house at Meriam’s Corner, was built in 1705 and in 1775 was occupied by Nathan and Abigail Meriam and their eleven children. Josiah Meriam was a sergeant in a minute man company and his son Josiah, Jr. was a private in the company.
After the fight at North Bridge, Meriam’s Corner was the next major engagement along Battle Road. At this location, thousands of militias from neighboring towns converged to bully the British back to Boston, thus beginning the Siege of Boston.